Becoming a Massage Therapist
How to obtain a massage therapy degreeIf you are considering a career as a massage therapist, here's a few tips to help you make an informed decision:
- First, receive several massages yourself to see what technique best suits you.
- Consider the physical, mental and social aspects of the profession.
- Job-shadow another massage therapist you trust and respect. This is an excellent way to see first hand if massage therapy is suitable for you.
- Interview several massage therapists. Ask them common questions to see if there are any discrepancies or concerns.
- Research the different types of massage and the schools that offer them.
- Consider the type of massage you want to study, wether it is relaxation, Swedish massage, sports massage, deep tissue massage or a combination. This is important, because in the end you must feel comfortable with the technique you have chosen to study.
Keep in mind - over half the trained massage therapists today have quit within a year because they did not research and feel confident with their particular technique.
Looking for a massage school near you? Check out our full list of massage therapy schools for a curriculum near you!
Advertiser Links for Massage Therapy Schools